Sunday, March 28, 2010

I've Been Banned from Grocery Shopping

Is there a member of your family that's no longer permitted to attend the weekly or monthly grocery run? It seems that in every family, there is at least one person who's watched more than others; that one person who is notoriously characterized by their need for the needless. I don't know how it works in your household, but in ours, I'm permanently banned from grocery shopping. My husband forbids my attendance to any grocery store establishment. He understands that at some point in time, I may have to participate. In this case, he makes it very clear that both of my hands are not to leave the cart. How did it get to this point? Why have I been eternally excluded from the hustle and bustle of this housewife task? Before now, I've been in complete denial to the fact that I have a problem and that professional help may be required. When I shop, I tend to be the "Impulse Buyer." Oh yes, I'm the type they reach out to in the check out lines, with their candy bars, batteries and travel lotions. I crave the unexpected expectedness of the gotta-haves and don't-you-needs. I think I'm so clever hiding the items strategically amongst the pile of my overindulgence. The items usually go unnoticed until the cashier starts scanning the doo-dads and thing-a-ma-bops I've snuck into the cart. I suddenly feel my husband's eyes searing a hole through the back of my head. Even as shocked as I may seem, I've known this reaction was inevitable. It's been stated that I'm similar to a cat walking through the isles, distracted by every bright shiny object. To help with my problem, I've even gone to great lengths in creating a detail list of specific items needed, and specific items to stay away from. And yet, the same outcome is achieved after every exhibition. At this point in time, I'll just have to keep my hands glued to the cart. I wouldn't want to risk having a permanent hole in the back of my head, or are those great smelling travel lotions worth it?

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. I don’t let my wife come shopping with me either,

    It tends to add about 30% to the bill.

    Shawn Matthews

    ReplyDelete