Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Bread and Butter Plate, a Lost Art

I’m sure you’re thinking to yourself, “What the hell’s a bread and butter plate?” You’d be very normal for asking this question. The bread and butter plate, aka the b and b plate, is the forgotten and undermined dish usually used in a formal gathering located just above the forks, to place...your bread and butter on…Shocking! We’re living in an era of the “every day dishes.” Easy to use, easy to maintain, quick to grab, and, let’s just be honest, cheap. What happened to the art of entertaining? What happened to the thrill and the expectation of etiquette? I’m not saying “etiquette” as a politically correct term; I’m thinking more of an earnest consideration for one’s guests. When I was a little girl, like most, I played tea party and dress up. As the hostess, I made sure all the place settings were perfectly laid out, anxiously awaiting my guests’ arrival. When all my Barbie’s and bears were seated, I served each with respect and decorum. If only when we grew up, we could act in this way. Instead, we are taught that “time is money.” We’re encouraged to grab that Hot Pocket and sprint out the door with it halfway down our throats. I’m not saying that Hot Pockets are bad, I happen to live off of them. But I think that I would enjoy my day more if I made time in the morning for a nice cup of coffee, or even some bacon, eggs and biscuits on an actual plate; maybe even get up early enough to have breakfast with my husband. The art of sincere service is slowly dying. Instead of Shop Class, maybe boys should be taught lessons in chivalry. And for girls in Home Education, should to be encouraged to reinforce our grandmother’s tradition of sacrificial love and grateful hosting; or at least be taught what a bread and butter plate is…Now ladies, I’m not saying to lay out the red carpet and b and b plates every time your mother-in-law decides to pop by, or maybe you need too, who knows. I’m encouraging the enjoyment of serving others. My mom and older sister have helped me understand my privileges as a wife and woman. They inspire everyone around them to appreciate the time-consuming task of planning for guests. They make their homes a masterpiece to be comfortable and relaxed in. I’ll never forget the first time my husband and I stayed with my mom. We walked into the guest room and at the foot of the bed were…bread and butter plates! Not really. She had actually taken the time to neatly fold two bath towels, two hand towels, and two washcloths; on top were our own individual soaps, shampoos and lotions. We also were given a beautiful quilt to take home with us. I felt like I was staying in a five star hotel! Did I happen to mention the made-from-scratch meals every morning, noon and night? She’s an example of a rare bread of women committed to outstanding and memorable entertainment experiences. So come on girls, put those pretty aprons on, roll out those bread and butter plates, grab the lipstick if you must, and make your guests’ experiences ones worth gossiping about.

No comments:

Post a Comment