Monday, March 8, 2010

I Hate Getting Gas


For as long as I can remember I have loathed gassing up my car. When I see the gas meter near empty, I suddenly get a splitting headache; everything and everyone seem an annoyance. I become that road raged maniac on the highway. During my immature tantrums and exploitation of tailgating, questions arise as to why I didn't notice this sooner; why didn't I ask my husband to take my car for a spin, and just happen to be low on gas. Wink...He's a much more responsible individual than I am. While I'm at work, at my parents or just lounging at home, it will consume my every thought. Life is no longer enjoyable. "This sucks!" Is perpetually ringing in my ears. So why do I abhor this occupation so much? Number one, it's taking my money, and I feel I have nothing to show for it. No bag to carry my purchase in or memorabilia to look back on; just a receipt reading "I took your money!" Two, I pride myself on being an independent woman and would hate for others to think I need assistance washing my windshield. And lastly, I only have two possible exits: to the left or to the right. I'm completely boxed in by my car and the pump; unless I decide to hurdle myself over the unmovable concrete trash cans that reek of Funoins and stale soda. Not to mention that my purse is just hanging out in the passenger seat. I believe it cripples my confidence and makes me feel like one of those damsels in distress standing alone at the pump. Have you noticed that no one at the gas station makes eye contact with anyone else? Everyone has an expression of, "Do not approach me, do not talk to me, and don't even look at me." I think all the introverts got together and created a barrier of introversion around every gas station so that even the extroverts would completely shut themselves off to conversation. Of course, excluding the weird dude wearing miss-match shoes, talking to all his little friends, slowly making his way in my direction. My eyes getting larger and larger with his every step. Inside I'm screaming at the pump to go faster than the ketchup at Denny's. Yeah, that's totally me. Have you noticed that there are more and more questions at the pump now? "Debit of Credit? Zip Code or Pin Number? Do need a car wash? Do you want a receipt? Are you sure about that? Don't forget the soda! How many pets do you have? Married or Single?" Seriously! Stop with all the insane amount of questions. Just let me fill up my freakin' car in peace, while I try  avoiding the guy with imaginary buddies and uncomfortably swiping my card for everyone to see. Next time, I'll ask my husband to take my car for a spin.

1 comment:

  1. I think that is the longest rant about filling a gas tank that I have ever read. :) I think you have a gift for writing... or at least for being able to use alot of words to describe your gas pumping phobia. :D

    ReplyDelete